+61 2 9939 5350

Central Coast
1300 518 517

Tree Services
Land Clearing
Management Services
Commercial Services
24hr Emergency Service
Our People
Management Team
Quality Management Systems
OH & S Management Systems
Memberships and Sponsorships
Contact Details
Request a Quote
Employment Enquiry
24 hr Emergency Service
Arborcultural Maintenance
General Pruning
Dead Wooding and tree felling
Crane and tower specialists
Wood chipping and mulch supply
Stump Grinding
Tree Removal and Replacement
Land clearing and Vegetation management
Noxious Weed control
Trained arborists and Horticulturalists
Supply, installation and maintenance of advance trees and quality street trees
Design and implementation of tree management programs
Supply and installation of mulch
Arborist Reports
Land Development Consultation & Project Management

How to choose a Tree Specialist

Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Selecting a Tree Contractor

Whether you are a private land owner or a commercial company needing arboricultural services, there are a range of basic qualifications, insurances and safety standards you need to ensure your tree supplier can deliver.

Work undertaken by inappropriately qualified contractors could result in major damage to you or
your neighbour’s property,  injury to people and may even  eave you liable for any costs associated
with this damage.

Qualification & Minimum Safety Standards

WorkCover NSW recommends that for tree work carried out on the ground, a minimum of one
person in the work crew holds the qualification of Certificate II in Horticulture (Arboriculture). All tree climbing work
should be carried out by a person who holds a minimum Certificate II in Horticulture (Arboriculture)
or be undertaking a course to obtain this qualification. All tree climbing work should be directly
supervised by a person with a minimum qualification of Certificate III in Horticulture (Arboriculture). Whenever tree climbing operations are under way a second person on the site must possess an Aerial Rescue qualifiction and a dedicated Aerial Rescue kit must be available on site.

All tree work should be carried out in accordance with the requirements of the WorkCover Code of
Practice: Amenity Tree Industry 1998 and Draft Code of Practice Tree Work 2007.

The contractor should be able to explain to you what measures they will be taking to ensure the
safety of people affected by the work, such as neighbours and people walking or driving past
where the work is being carried out.

If the work is being carried out near power lines the contractor must maintain a safe distance from
the power lines or be an “accredited person” to work within what are known as “approach
distances”. If work is being carried out on a tree that is within 3 metres of any power line including
a service line, then the person carrying out the work must be an accredited person who has
completed a recognised course of training and the contractor should be able to explain this to you
and provide evidence of any accreditation of the staff completing the work.

You should obtain a written quote from the contractor that contains the contact details and ABN
of the contractor.

You may also need approval from your local council to prune or remove any trees and your tree service company should advise you of these requirements and assist you with the process.

The contractor should hold a current workers compensation insurance policy for their
employees and a current public liability insurance policy.

These insurance policies provide protection for you in the case of damage being caused to your
property, your neighbour’s property or people being injured while the work is being carried out.

Plateau Tree Service has over 25 years of experience and are the experts in tree service industry. They follow all safety, insurance and council requirements to ensure any project residential or commercial is completed safely and professionally.
For further information email us on or telephone (02) 9979 3311